Ground Control Ltd, a grounds maintenance firm, is committed to enhancing the physical environment
Why did you sign the Pledge?
The green pledge really aligns to values and sustainability commitments at Ground Control. We create better landscapes, nurture natural environments and construct spaces that bring people, places and the planet together. We are committed to enhancing and improving the physical environment with a vision to leave the World in a better place than we found it. As a large local employer based in Billericay we want to share the experiences of our carbon and wider environmental journey with other local business so we can learn and grow together to make Braintree a better place to live, work and play.
What changes are you making within your business?
Sustainability is at the heart of everything we do and we are focusing of four key areas where we feel we can make a difference.
- Delivering biodiversity enhancements
- Achieving carbon net zero
- Sourcing and using materials responsibly
- Delivering social value in the communities where we work.
At Ground Control we were very proud to be certified as carbon neutral in 2021 by the Carbon Trust. However, we recognise to make a real difference we must be carbon net zero and play our part in preventing global temperatures from rising above 1.5oC. As such we have formally committed to setting Science Based Targets and with the help of the Carbon Trust have recently calculated our full carbon footprint including those within our supply chain (scope 3)
Our primary focus so far has been on reducing the emissions in our direct operations:
- We have switched to 100% renewable electricity supply
- We are converting our fleet to fully electric and currently operate the largest Tesla fleet in Europe
- We are converting our hand tools to battery powered and are using robotic mowers in places such as the Tower of London
- We are incentivising our employees to switch to a renewable electricity supplier
We are incredibly proud of our Evergreen Fund, that dedicates 5% of our annual net profits to supporting environmental initiatives and carbon sequestration. This includes planting 1 million trees by 2025, much of which will be at our 296 acre Wildfell Centre for Environmental Recovery.